Monday, August 5, 2013

School is in Session!

Greetings!  Today was the first day of school and it was the busiest first day ever!  My day was filled with schedule changes and supervision.  I am not too thrilled about the idea of supervision, but I have been missing out!  I get to talk to students and do my counseling work outside.  It is nice to get out of the office.  I took a clip board and a notepad so I can take down students' names, etc.  It worked out great!

College Seminar

I am teaching a course called College Seminar.  Today, I reviewed the syllabus and we got into some discussion about the differences in college.  I am glad that I have different types of students in that class.  It is a good mix of kids.  I gave them a lot of information today so this week we will do some team building activities.

Senior Handbook

As all of this is going on, I am still working on putting together the Senior Handbook.  We will see if this bad boy goes to good use this year.



Bulletin Board

I was inspired by all of the blogs that I have been reading and the counselors who get to put up bulletin boards.  The counseling department has one bulletin board and it will change as the year goes on.  I am also thinking about making a makeshift bulletin board directly in front of the office door for announcements and reminders.

This is what the bulletin board looks like now.  We have "Meet the Teacher" night Wednesday so I need to add a couple of things. 

I really like what I did with this part of the bulletin board.  I added topics that the counselors help with such as bullying, anger, feelings, family, relationships, college interest, career research, community service resources, etc.  It is simple but to the point. 

Students are stopping by to look at it! 

I would post pictures of my office, but it is a mess and there is not much room to set up anything.  I do share an office with another counselor and the room configuration is working well.

In the future, I hope to put more ideas about what I am doing with the College Seminar course and bulletin boards!

See you later!

2 comments:

  1. All your posts are so fun and creative! I'd like to email you about how you can cut down on the scholarship clutter. How can I get ahold of you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I always have questions about scholarships especially since there are so many search engines and my students can get very confused. Plus, I am still figuring out how to track when students actually apply to scholarships. My email is dreambigschoolcounseling@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete